So I know there was an effort to translate this a few years ago that died because the files were encrypted or something. But today I tried editing some of the .txt files for the dialogue in English to see if anything changed, and to my surprise, it worked.
It looks like translating this game (or at least the dialogue) is certainly a realistic prospect. But other than a few lines in http://yukkuri.shii.org/forum_topics/5421, most of the work done through the previous TL project http://yukkuri.shii.org/forum_topics/8629 was in blocks of strings, which I do not want to parse through. If any of the old contributors to the TL are still here, we can reboot the project.
So I was bored today and I had a free afternoon so I decided to go through and copy-paste all the 1700~ lines of the old translation project into the text files. Overall, it works pretty well, and most use cases within the game should be translated, though there are a few issues:
>Only dialogue is translated
The text file only affects the yukkuri's dialogue, nothing else is translated like the menu. The way to modify the other text varies on a case to case basis: some like the save/load menu and the title screen are just pictures that can be photoshopped. Others like the main menu sidebar and the poo poo dance lyrics I don't know how to work with.
>Not all the dialogue is translated
It's been 2 years since the TL project finished and since then there has been quite a few lines added to the game, for instance anything that has to do with accessories. I have a basic knowledge of Japanese so I could pick up the slack on a few lines that consist of "eajy" and "yuuu" and "peni-peni" and whatnot, but more complicated sentences I decided not to touch. Hopefully someone with a fluent grasp of both Japanese and Yukkuri vernacular could finish the job.
>Text occasionally doesn't fit in bubbles
Yeah, sometimes the text extends a few letters past the boundary of the text bubble, but for the most part they fit just fine, and when it does extend it's usually readable. I don't know the cause of this or how to fix this. It's not that big of an issue, but fixing it would be nice.
The version I've worked with is 1.89, but I presume for subsequent versions you can just copy and paste the contents of the text files and have no problems. There's another script for adult Marisa in there but I really don't want to touch that. The good news is that at least there's no slurring so it should be easier to work with.
To install, just unzip into the root folder of the game.
1.90 has no changes to the text.
Updated by GNU/Hurdz